What are Paths?
Paths define the Workflow Routing of a Record as it moves between Steps of a Workflow. Paths are located at the bottom of each Step's configuration screen.
Default Next Path
Each Step has a Default Next Path which determines where the Record will be routed by default. Default Next Paths are denoted on the Workflow Canvas by gray arrows between Steps.
Configuring your Default Next Path
Within the Step Editor, you have a few options for configuring your paths. You can:
Allow the current assignee to:
- Re-assign the Record to an Application user upon submission. (E.g. The user submitting the Record has some discretion on who should be the assignee. This setting allows them to select a user from a specified list.)
- Re-assign the Record to an external user upon submission. (E.g. In a Third-Party Risk Management Program, an external vendor must fill out a questionnaire. This setting allows you to send that questionnaire to someone outside of the LogicGate platform.)
- Leave the record unassigned upon submission
Default the next assignee to:
- Select a User Field to drive the assignee of the Record upon submission. (E.g. I have a User Field titled “Business Unit Owner.” Every time a risk is submitted, I want this person to be automatically assigned to the Record.)
- Auto-assign the Record to the current assignee upon submission. (E.g. I have a Process where I must answer questions in one Step and sign an attestation in the very next Step. In this case, I want to assign to myself and continue so that I am not redirected to the Work Queue.)
These options are all available to you in the Path configuration section seen below.
Conditional Edge Paths
Conditional Edge Paths can be added to Steps to define an alternative route that a Record might need to follow if specific conditions are met. Conditions can be set-up based on Fields defined in your Workflow. Different Field types have different operators that can be used to define conditions when setting-up Conditional Edge Paths.
Conditional Edge Paths are denoted on the Workflow Canvas by blue arrows between Steps.
How to Set Up Conditional Edge Paths
There are two different methods that can be used to add Conditional Edge Paths.
Method 1: Add Edge Path Via the Field Defining the Condition
If you have a Field that you want to base conditional routing on, you can set-up a Conditional Edge Path from that Field.
1) Toggle to see the Field settings panel, if it is not already visible.
2) In the Field settings panel, click on the Routing icon (the criss-crossing arrows) to create an Edge path.
3) In the pop-up modal that appears, you'll see that the Field drop-down has been pre-populated with the name of the Field from which you started. Click on the Operator drop-down to select the appropriate operator that will be used to define the condition.
4) If applicable, select a Value that will be used to evaluate whether an Edge is 'True' or 'False'. (The Value drop-down will appear for the following Operator types: Equals, Not Equals, Contains, Not Contains, Greater Than, Less Than. Refer to Conditional Operators for a full list for operators and the corresponding fields.)
5) In the Next Step drop-down, select the Step that you want to send the Record to if the Edge is evaluated as 'True'.
6) If you'd like to allow the Record to be assigned to a specific individual on the Path you are creating, you can toggle to allow current assignee to set the next users and/or default the next assignee to a user.
7) Finally, click Save to complete the creation of your Conditional Edge Path. You should now be able to see the Conditional Edge Path you just created in the Paths section at the bottom of the Step configuration page.
Method 2: Add Conditional Path Via the Paths Configuration
Alternatively, you can set-up a Conditional Edge Path from the Paths configuration section at the bottom of the Step builder page.
1) Scroll to the bottom of the Step build page and find the Paths section. Then click the drop down arrow next to Conditional Edge Paths. Then click the Add Conditional Edge Paths button.
2) A pop-up modal will appear, follow Step 3 from Method 1 and continue through to Step 7 to create your Conditional Path.