What are Paths?
Paths define the workflow routing of a record as it moves between Steps of a workflow. Paths are located at the bottom of each Step's configuration screen.
Default Next Path
Each step has a Default Next Path which determines where the record will be routed by default. Default Next Paths are denoted on the Workflow Canvas by gray arrows between Steps.
Conditional Edge Paths
Conditional Edge Paths can be added to Steps to define an alternative route that a Record might need to follow if specific conditions are met. Conditions can be set-up based on Fields defined in your Workflow. Different Field types have different operators that can be used to define conditions when setting-up Conditional Edge Paths.
Conditional Edge Paths are denoted on the Workflow Canvas by blue arrows between Steps.
How to Set Up Conditional Edge Paths
There are two different methods that can be used to add Conditional Edge Paths.
Method 1: Add Edge Path Via the Field Defining the Condition
If you have a Field that you want to base conditional routing on, you can set-up a Conditional Edge Path from that Field.
1) Toggle to see the Field settings panel, if it is not already visible.
2) In the Field settings panel, click on the Routing icon (the criss-crossing arrows) to create an Edge path.
3) In the pop-up modal that appears, you'll see that the Field drop-down has been pre-populated with the name of the Field from which you started. Click on the Operator drop-down to select the appropriate operator that will be used to define the condition.
4) If applicable, select a Value that will be used to evaluate whether an Edge is 'True' or 'False'. (The Value drop-down will appear for the following Operator types: Equals, Not Equals, Contains, Not Contains, Greater Than, Less Than. Refer to Conditional Operators for a full list for operators and the corresponding fields.)
5) In the Target drop-down, select the Step that you want to send the Record to if the Edge is evaluated as 'True'.
6) If you'd like to allow the Record to be assigned to a specific individual on the Path you are creating, you can toggle to enable the selection of an App User Assignee or the entry of an External Email Assignee. If you choose either of those options, you can also choose whether or not to Require Assignee selection.
7) Finally, click Save to complete the creation of your Conditional Edge Path. You should now be able to see the Conditional Edge Path you just created in the Paths section at the bottom of the Step configuration page.
Method 2: Add Conditional Path Via the Paths Configuration
Alternatively, you can set-up a Conditional Edge Path from the Paths configuration section at the bottom of the Step builder page.
1) Scroll to the bottom of the Step build page and find the Paths section. Then click the drop down arrow next to Conditional Edge Paths. Then click the Add Conditional Edge Paths button.
2) A pop-up modal will appear, follow step 3 from Method 1 and continue through to step 7 to create your conditional path.