How to assign Records to those who are not setup as users in Risk Cloud
External users do not have a Risk Cloud account and can only access Records that are specifically assigned to then via a URL. External users should only be used by people outside of your organization.
When should I use an external user over a standard user?
External users should be used over a standard user only if all of the following criteria apply:
Work is assigned to the person very infrequently (e.g., once per year)
The user is only submitting information on a form and does not require access to any additional functionality such as Dashboards, Reports, Record history and so on.
The user is outside of your organization (e.g. a vendor)
Note that a user cannot be setup as a standard user and also be assigned work as an external user to the same email address.
How to enable Records to be sent to external users
1. Determine the Step from which the Record will be sent to an external user. For example, in a Third Party Risk Management application, the Step from which the Record will be assigned to an external user is the "Initiate Assessment" Step. The external user will perform work in the "Complete Self-Assessment" Step.
2. Navigate to the Application Canvas by going to Build > Applications and clicking on the appropriate Application.
3. Double-click on the Step from which the Record will be sent to the end user ("Initiate Assessment" in this example).
4. Navigate to "Default Next Paths" under the "Paths" section located at the bottom of the Step Builder. Click on the pencil icon next to the Default Next Path.
5. In the modal that pops up, check Assign to an external email address.
This completes the Workflow-level configuration required for you to be able to assign Records to external users.
5. Now, whenever you click Submit on a Record in the originating Step ("Initiate Assessments" in this example), you will be prompted to enter the email address of an external user.
To notify users with an email, set up a Job with the following details:
- Trigger: Moved
- Message: (Enabled)
- Recipient: User Fields - Current Assignee of Newest Record
- Email Subject & Email Content: Customize to Organization's Communication
- Include Link to Trigger Record: Enable
- Operation: (Disabled)
For more information, visit the Create Jobs article or the Advanced Job Configuration course.
When the user clicks Open Assessment, they will be taken to the Record where they can fill in the required information. In the image below, note that no menu options or additional functionality are available to the external user.
How do I resend the link to the external user?
There are two ways to resend the link to the external user.
1. You can navigate to the Record that has been assigned to the external user and copy link from the top of the Record. You can then (manually) send the link to the external user via email.
2. You can navigate to Admin > Users > External Users. Every external user will be listed under the tab. Click on the appropriate user and navigate to the Permissions tab. You can copy the link by clicking the icon to the right of the Record Name and (manually) email it to the external user.
Please sign in to leave a comment.